Wednesday, February 17, 2010

backpacking through Paris

I kept a pseudo journal while I was in Paris and Spain so I could just copy it here...

-copied from my notebook-

2/8/10 Monday 10:40 am

Well, here I am in Paris, feeling oh so French and boho as I sip my café au lait and write in my notebook (the notebook I brought to do work - right, fat chance) I guess I could mention the rather American aspects of me right now: brightly colored map of Paris, which I was just poring over, GIGANTIC backpack stuffed with everything I need for 7 days of travel (and the real reason I stopped for coffee, since I'm getting lunch in a few hours. Although maybe it is a good thing I got something to tide me over and wake me up) and my worn, scuffed brown shoes (mismatched with my outfit consisting of a black coat, black purse and black belt... oops! lol) Well anyways, while I'm wasting time before I pay the bill, I can write down my day so far and also my plan for the next few hours.

I woke up this morning a little after 5 am, showered, shoved some food in my mouth, took out the trashed, closed the blinds, shut down my comp, checked my travel necessities (passport, boarding passes, train tix), brushed my teeth, got my stuff, left and locked the door. And I'm off! Honestly, I'm both impressed and disgusted with my pack because it can fit so much, but I thought I would need less (I'm sure I will next time). But at the same time, its my first trip, so I'll learn from it. And, I can't help but compare it to the BC swim bag I took with me on a weekend trip once. The huge maroon and white bag that I stuffed. Then I also had my purse and my backpack - it was ridiculous. So, I guess I've improved since then.

Anyways, back on track: So I got out the door and walked to the tram stop and got there around 6 and got on the tram a little past 6. Got to the Gare around 6:30 and went straight to my train, which left at 6:45, my timing was pretty perfect. I couldn't find the right car, though, so I just got on one and took an empty seat (I got kicked out of my original seat but then I got one). The ride wasn't very interesting for the first hour because it was still dark out, but once it got lighter, the countryside was beautiful :) all green and gentle rolling hills, I loved it. It's more of a quiet, sleepy, peaceful beauty compared to the rugged, dramatic and striking beauty of the Rocky Mountains.

I got to Paris (Gare de l'Est) a little after 9 am, and I found a map of Paris (thank goodness - the aforementioned map that screams TOURIST! lol) And I set off in the direction I thought I should go (and turned out to be right! yay! my sense of direction is improving) So I kept walking in vaguely the right direction, snapping pics and taking detours whenever I felt like it and eventually found myself in Les Deux Palais, where I am now. I stopped because I have some time to kill (roughly 2.5 hours lol) and my back was begging for a break. My backpack was pretty light this morning, but walking for hours will take its toll...

So, I've been here almost a half hour and I feel like I should start moving again soon. But, I'll impose on them for a little longer. It's nice to sit for a few minutes since I wandered for about an hour and have another hour ish to go (its only 1:15 walk to Dani's from the Gare or I could take the Metro, but I figure since I have 4 hours between my train's arrival and our lunch date, I should just walk and see as much as Paris as I can in 2 days.) The thing that struck me immediately is how much bigger Paris is than Strasbourg. It's a real city and it's huge and that also makes it fun to walk through, though. Hopefully I can keep up that attitude through Madrid lol. The buildings here are also much more French - more Renaissance (in my inexpert opinion) - all very beautiful- but there's definitely less (if any) German influence here. Then again, Strasbourg is known for its French AND German heritage. Paris is strictly French.

Well, 2 hours till my lunch date, so I guess I'd better get going again. I'm heading to Notre Dame along the way, though, so that'll take a few minutes (plus I'm already off the path to her appt. Maybe I'll head back and see St. Germain de Pres also.) Alright, well till later --

No comments:

Post a Comment