I just realized that it's been almost a week since I left the US... its gone really quickly. And today was a good day :) I had to get up early (7:30) to leave by 8:20 to meet with Rebecca and Caitlin because we have our first day of Stage today. I'm still not entirely sure what the goal of the stage is, but I think it's just to immerse us more in french, with a French professor and give us a hint of how classes are run. Anyways, it runs from 9-12 and 2-5 (= my head hurts at the end) and its all in french but it has no real plan or schedule of discussion or anything. Basically we listen to a French professor talk to us about whatever he wants in French. He did give us some suggestions on where to travel and places to eat in Strasbourg, which was really cool. During our lunch break, we went to the cafeteria in the basement of the IEP building and got lunch for cheap! I got croque monsieur for 2 euros. I also realized it tasted good, but I'm actually not a fan of croque monsieur because its so heavy. Then again, I'd never had it before and it was pretty good. I also got a cappucino because caffeine was necessary to face 3 more hours of french and it was wonderful. It was strong, but chocolatey and good.
When we got out of class today, I realized that I keep thinking in French, which is good! Its funny though because sometimes when I'm speaking with the other BC students, I have to rethink what I want to say because I think about it in french! However, it worked out well at dinner tonight because I spoke more and I think I'm speaking better already. For dinner, we had soup then salmon, rice and spinach then cheese and bread, then galette. It finally struck me tonight how the french actually have different courses, even just for family dinners (even though I've had a few of them now) as opposed to when I eat at home or at school, everything is on the table or counter at the same time (unless I'm at school, in which case I'm terrible at timing things so I end up having courses when I don't mean to lol). We also talked about a few differences between the US school system and the French one. It's interesting how completely different they are. French high school students rarely participate in competitive sports because they spend all their time in school (They have school from 8-430 or 5 most of the time, but with a 2 hour lunch).
I should probably stop here considering I have to write a paragraph on the US government for tomorrow and I'm already exhausted...
a bientôt! bises~


No comments:
Post a Comment